Sunday, July 21, 2013

NOTD: Art Deco- Gatsby Inspired

Here is the manicure I've been wearing for the last two days. I'm late on posting it because I went on a nail polish finding spree going to my local Nordstrom Rack, Ross, and TJ Maxx. Here is my final haul including a Benefit purchase from Ulta in a quick iPhone snapshot.

Benefit Stay Flawless, The Body Shop Vanilla Duo Body Butter, Butter London Scented Polish Remover, Butter London Dosh, Smashbox Lip Stains, Elf Beautifully Bright Set, Butter London Nail/Lippy in Shambolic, Urban Decay All Nighter/Primer Pack, Urban Decay NailPolish Collection, Smashbox Lipstick, Stila Mascara



Now for my Nail of the Day

There has been a trend to do Art Deco inspired tape manis after The Great Gatsby came out. I figured the deep Emerald Angela from my July Julep Maven Box would be perfect for this. The taping took forever to do, but wasn't difficult to execute at all.

I had my sister and her three kids here while I was painting so my nails got some dents and smudges from having a 4 and 5 year old at each elbow watching! I used a coat of Seche Vite after Felicity and after applying Adele to seal everything off.

This manicure has a base layer of Felicity, topped with Angela, and with a coat of Adele over the top. I wanted to use Adele because I figured it would give it a glamorous shimmer. In the end, I wasn't happy with the choice to put Adele as a topper. The colors popped much better with the emerald on gold combination. Adele also make it almost impossible to photograph in the shade or the sun. If I repeat this manicure, I will leave it a high contrast design instead of adding the extra shimmer.

Julep Adele, Angela, Felicity

In direct sunlight. The whole manicure tends to take on an overpowering Adele gold shimmer in the sunlight :( 

In direct sunlight

In direct sunlight

In the shade showing more of a dark emerald shimmer

No comments:

Post a Comment