Sunday, June 23, 2013

Nail of the Day: Sunshine Stripes

I am not a huge fan of this NOTD, but I wanted to post it anyways to show the colors and see what feedback I get. I ended up taking this off after a few hours because it had drying issues and I just wasn't satisfied. I used the Southwest Collection by Julep and added Gayle to it for some contrast. Gayle (the purple) did not translate well over the yellow and took a more brownish tone.  Nina did not pop over the Daisy base coat like I had hoped, it blended in a lot though less than this picture shows. Lena (the teal) showed wonderfully over the yellow base. Maybe if it had been the center stripe, the manicure would have lasted longer as far as me liking it. 

As far as swatching, Daisy is a yellow creme that paints smoothly but would likely need three coats to be completely streak free if you aren't painting over it. 

Nina is close to a one coat-er, maybe two to reach full opacity, but paints like a dream and has a semi-matte finish. It is pretty close to a neon orange. 

I won't comment on Gayle yet since I was disappointed in how it faired over Daisy. I'll swatch this one again later. 

Lena is beautiful! I want to paint this one alone with some stamping over it. It has a creamy easy to paint consistency and also might be a one, maybe two coat-er. 

Polish: Julep in Gayle, Lena, Daisy, and Nina. Stripes were painted with a thin tip paint brush. If anyone has tips to get a finer, more uniform line, please let me know! 

4 comments:

  1. It's such a cute mani, I love the tri-stripes and kinda like the way Gayle looks over Daisy. Lena is one of my favorite Julep colors, it's stunning! Great mani!
    xo
    Lia
    Smart n Snazzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lia! I think I might try a mani with Lena and Gayle paired together soon!

      Delete
  2. Not totally in love with this one. I think the colors would make a much bolder statement alone. I'm not a yellow fan so totally not me, but that teal is GORGEOUS! I do think a diagonal dual-color with the Lena and Daisy would be stunning though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I tried to make myself use yellow since I tend to shy away from this, but it was a fair disaster. I need to find a good striping brush too, mine was too thick for delicate lines. I have a more pale yellow coming in that has a bit of a pearl finish so I am hoping it is a better match. Also, kudos for starting your blog up again! I'm adding it to Blog Lovin' so I can follow it :)

      Delete